Saturday, March 24, 2012

World’s 1st “Pack Walk” organized at People’s Plaza, Hyd

The Indian Institute of Packaging (IIP) Alumni in association with The Federation of Andhra Pradesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FAPCCI) organized “World Packaging Day” (1st Time in the world) celebrations and World’s 1st “Pack Walk” from People’s Plaza, Necklace road to Sanjeevayya Park, Hyderabad today (24th March 2012). Mr. Kasu Venkat Krishna Reddy, Hon’ble Minister for Co-operation was the chief guest for this occasion.

Mr. V.S. Raju, President, FAPCCI, Mr. B.K. Karna, Deputy Director, Indian Institute of Packaging, Mr. V. Anil Reddy, President, AP Plastic Manufacturers Association, Mr. Rajiv A Mehta, Vice President, AGI Plast, Mr. Chakravarthy, Chairman, IIP, Hyderabad, Mr. N.C. Saha, Chairman, IIP Alumni, Dr. Ashok Kumar Kedia, Chairman, Youth & Women’s committee, FAPCCI are the other speakers at the occasion.

Mr. Kasu Venkat Krishna Reddy said that the Packaging industry plays a very important role in Industrial & Economical development. In the era of retail world, packaging is not only protects the product but also it plays a vital role in terms on attraction, communication and brand promotion. The role of packaging in the modern marketing scenario is well established as it plays a great role for the value addition, cost reduction and also to enhance the shelf life of any commodity goods. We use lots of packaging materials since morning to evening. The disposal of these packaging materials is also to be looked upon to save our environment. We have learnt the concept of packaging from our “Mother Nature”, so we have our primary responsibility to save our Nature also. We must follow the 4R's hierarchy in designing a packaging i.e. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover.

Every day is dedicated for some profession, it gives me pleasure to note that Packaging professionals have got one day to dedicate i.e., March 24. This day as world packaging day has been initiated by Packaging Professionals of India that from Hyderabad, Packaging professionals of 20 countries are observing this day as World Packaging Day. PACK WALK of the occasion of World Packaging day I wish all Packaging professionals for Great Career ahead.

Mr. V.S. Raju said that the Indian packaging industry itself is growing at 14-15% annually. This growth rate is expected to double in the next two years. Indian Packaging industry is USD 14 billion and growing at more than 15% p.a. These figures indicate towards a change in the industrial and consumer set up. However, the Indian fascination for rigid packaging remains intact. It is estimated that more than 80% of the total packaging in India constitutes rigid packaging, which is the oldest and the most conventional form of packaging. The remaining 20% comprises flexible packaging. Rigid packaging constitutes glass bottles, metal cans, aerosol cans, battery cell cans, aluminum collapsible tubes, injection moulded plastic containers made of PVC, PET, HOPE, barrels made from HOPE, paperboards, and corrugated boxes. The materials used in packaging industry throughout the globe, paper shares the most, 36%, metal is 17%, plastic takes 34%, glass takes 10% and other occupies 3%.

According to the type of packaged products, Beverages take 18%, food take 38%, pharmaceutical products take 5%, cosmetic products take 3% and other products take 36% of overall packaging industry. Global market value on food packaging is 161 US$ billion, beverage packaging is 76 US$ billion, Pharmaceutical packaging is 21 US$ billion, cosmetic packaging is 13.3 US$ billion and other is 153 US$ billion.

No comments:

Post a Comment